Friday, August 12, 2011

Female urinary catheterization. Was it done properly?

I went to urologist today. He is an older, old-school doctor. No bedside manner, but knows his stuff. He diagnosed me 15 months ago with intersticial cystitis. Doc did an ultrasound today and said I had urinary retention and he broke out the catheter. Never had this before. I asked is it was okay to do it since I started mentruating yesterday and had a tampon in. No prob, he said. Then he says okay drop your drawers. So there I am on the table with nothing but a thin paper cover that ended up above my waist anyway with a tampon string hanging out. (It felt pretty humiliating.) Doc put on gloves, but didn't seem to use any sterile techniques. No sterile drape. I don't think he did any sterile cleansing of the area. He just started prodding around to find the uretha and stuck the catheter in. After the procedure, during which 4 cc's of urine was passed, he ordered a cysto and ultrasound. Then gave me a scrip for an antibiotic to take for two days to make sure that I don't get infection from cath. Am I overreacting, or does this sound way to unsanitary and informal?

No comments:

Post a Comment