Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Why does my dog run off? How do I get my dog to listen?

I have a 1 year old Yorkie that will BOLT out the door as soon as you open it! Sometimes its unavoidable with the kids opening and closing the door 50 times a day. As soon as she gets out she starts the chasing game! She is too fast to catch without getting the neighborhood involved and basically flanking her. Sometimes we have even resorted to using large fishing nets to catch her in it. We have tried professional obedience training with good positive and doggy boot camp with negative reinforcement hundreds of dollars waisted. Basically the professionals tell me that her head is stuck in "alpha mode" whatever that means! If it means like a cats mind them im screwed aren't I? I really need some feedback from anyone that has dealt with this kind of small dog that absolutely wont listen no matter the outcome! Do I need to get a perimeter shock collar or a remote shock collar? Do they even make them that small? She is no bigger than a corn cob! She is a very sweet girl and is very friendly. We don't want her to get run over, eaten by a larger dog, or worse! I have two other dogs (Fox Terrier and German Shepherd) that listen very well and are command trained to the queue! But this has been nightmare for the last 13 months! Im about to just give up on her and just let her drag a long leash around 24/7!

No comments:

Post a Comment